Monday, March 5, 2012

memories

Jen posted on her Facebook the other day, that she was feeling nostalgic.
I was browsing the web and came across a picture that reminded me of a book I
read as a child.

I couldn't remember the name of the author, so I started Googling to see if I could find it.
 
Of course this got me going,

Jen; I am feeling nostalgic too :)

~ Books

The books that I remember reading more than anything as a child, were Golden Books.
I think we had every Little Golden Book in creation!
I couldn’t possibly choose just choose one that I like the most...so here are a few!
 
Richard Scarry's: Best Storybook Ever
 
I loved this book!
 
I know it's not really a little Golden book, but it's Richard Scarry none-the-less
 
I instantly remembered the cover, but couldn't quite reach back that far and remember the specific stories in it. So, I Googled some more and came up with these!
 
 

This section was one of my favorite. It had different colors mixing together to make other colors.

 
There was the story of the mice
 

The Saggy Baggy Elephant
 


This one reminded me of the ugly duckling, or Rudolph.
 
The little elephant, who’s name I couldn’t remember but thanks to Google I found was Sooki and everyone made fun of him because his skin was all saggy.
Poor thing :( until he met others who were unique just like him and he wasn’t an outcast anymore!
The Red Hen

I used to feel bad that this book left the other characters without anything at the end because they didn’t plan ahead like the Red Hen did.
 
But, the Hen shared all the wheat she planted all year for the winter, with all the others. Which made me feel better. Very kind of her!

The Three Little Kittens
 
This one was cute.

The three kittens all got new knitted mittens from their mom. But, they either lost them or got them dirty and the mom was not pleased!! Gotta love the hard work of knitting and having your children lose or dirty your hard work :)

~ Toys
Fisher Price Teaching clock
 
We used to play with this over at my grandparents, Nina and Pop’s, whenever we were there! Absoutley loved this toy!

Makes me miss my Pop :(
Fisher Price Barn

I think these were pretty popular and, Like most kids, I'm sure, my favorite part was the "mooooooo"  when you opened the door :)

Sweet Pickle Bus

Now, I'm sure Mom is reading this and shaking her head saying, "That wasn't meant as a toy". But, I don't think I ever used it as it was meant to be: If memory serves me correctly; it was "educational" I, on the other hand, enjoyed playing with the little figures that came with it

 
;)

~ Movies

Well there are tons of those too!!

But, here are a few!
Peter Pan - Mary Martin

I think I saw this version before I saw the Disney one. Dad taped it off TV for us

I can remember watching it over and over again...over and over and over :)

It was musical play version of the Peter Pan story. Some of the songs I loved were:

"I'm Flying"
"Tiger Lily's Song"
"Build a House for Wendy"

Alice in Wonderland - 1985 version

With so many variations to this story out there, most people would probably think my favorite would be a more modern one. When in fact, when I think about Alice, I think of this one!
 
 
This was also a musical. I feel like the characters in this one, were just so much more magical than in all the other version of Alice in Wonderland.

 
I loved the innocence of this Alice.  It looked like it was so much fun as she met all these characters. Then they danced and sang with her through her journey in Wonderland!
 
~ SO....
 
That's it for now.

I'm sure there's tons of things I'm missing; but there's just so many and not enough time

...or space

What were your favorite things as a child!?


4 comments:

  1. What about Annie??? Hahaha! I distinctly remember waking up to "The sun will come out tomorrow" daily until I was ready to pull my hair out! That was the short time I lived with you guys in Halifax. Do you remember that?? During that time there was the Hershey Kiss story, the Nail polish episode and of course, Moe Cat!!!!
    Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I had all of those books too. Those and the Berstein Bears were the best too! What was your fav board game when you were little? I think board games were so much more fun....Life (but it could last forever) was good, and then good ol Checkers.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot about Fairie Tale Theatre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Auntie Linda: I made the mistake of telling Shane about Moe Cat; I don't know if I'll ever live that one down :)

    @Marianne: I loved the Berstein Bears too! I liked their house, and I remember thinking it would be really neat to live in a tree house! :D

    @Jen: Oh, right I forgot about that!!! :D

    ReplyDelete